A US jury has ordered Samsung to pay Apple $290m
(£179m) in a damages retrial, in the latest battle between the two smartphone
giants.The verdict was announced on Thursday in a
California, federal court after a weeklong trial. Apple had requested $380m,
while Samsung argued that it should have to pay $52.7m.
Apple said it was grateful to the jury for imposing
costs on Samsung, though the case has been about more than money for the
company.
"It has been about innovation and the hard work
that goes into inventing products that people love," the company said.
"While it's impossible to put a price tag on those values, we are grateful
to the jury for showing Samsung that copying has a cost."
Samsung said: "We are disappointed by today's
decision, which is based in large part on a patent that the US Patent and
Trademark Office has recently deemed invalid.
"While we move forward with our post-trial
motions and appeals, we will continue to innovate with groundbreaking
technologies and great products that are loved by our many customers all around
the world."
Apple and Samsung have been fighting in the courts
for over two years. Last year, Apple was awarded over $1bn after it convinced a
jury that Samsung copied various iPhone features - like using fingers to pinch
and zoom on the screen - along with design touches like the phone's flat, black
glass screen.
In March, a US judge upheld about $600m of that
verdict but ordered a retrial on the rest, ruling that the previous jury had
made some errors in its calculations.
Combined with the retrial verdict of $290.5m on
Thursday, Apple has now been awarded $929.8m in the case.
In addition to the fight over money, Apple is
seeking a permanent injunction against several older Samsung phones. The judge,
Lucy Koh, had previously rejected such a sales ban, but earlier this week the
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ordered her to reconsider.

No comments:
Post a Comment